Tuition fees loan
If you are studying HBO or university, you can apply for a tuition fees loan. Even if you fail to meet the nationality requirements for student finance. If you are studying at MBO or VAVO, you may be eligible for a contribution towards your course fees.
Applying for tuition fees loan
How to apply for a tuition fees loan, depends on whether or not you are eligible for student finance (situation 1 or 2).
1. You are not eligible for student finance
If you are not eligible for student finance, you must meet the following conditions to qualify for the tuition fees loan:
- You are under 30.
- You have the nationality of an EEA country Link opent externe pagina or Switzerland. Or you have the British nationality and you have an article 50 residence permit.
- You are enrolled in a full-time or dual course in higher professional education (HBO) or university.
- You pay your tuition fees in the Netherlands.
- If it wasn’t for your nationality or residency status, your course would qualify you for student finance.
Use the Application tuition fees loan form for your application.
Do you become eligible for student finance? Then the number of months in which you received tuition fees loan will be deducted from the months that you are entitled to student finance.
2. You are eligible for student finance
When you apply for student finance, you can apply for the tuition fees loan at the same time. You can also apply for it later via Mijn DUO.
If you have no access to Mijn DUO, then you can use the form Wijzigingen student hoger onderwijs.
Students that study for a full year, can borrow 1/12 of the tuition fees each month. So by the end of the academic year they have borrowed the full amount of the tuition fees.
If you are registered for a educational module, or a premaster lasting fewer than 12 months, applying for a tuition fees loan is slightly different. If you apply the regular way, you won’t receive the maximum amount. If you do want the maximum amount, please apply using the ‘Collegegeldkrediet educatieve module of pre-master’ form. You will then receive more than 1/12 of the tuition fees each month.
Contribution towards course fees
Are you studying at MBO or VAVO? You must meet the following conditions to qualify for a contribution towards your course fees:
- You have the nationality of an EEA country Link opent externe pagina or Switzerland, or your husband or wife has the nationality of an EEU country. Or you have the British nationality and you have an article 50 residence permit.
- You are enrolled in a full-time course in secondary vocational education (MBO) or secondary education for adults (VAVO). Your course must be recognized by the Dutch Ministry of Education. Your school can tell you if this is the case.
- You are not eligible for student finance.
- You are over 18, and you started your course before the age of 30.
Use the Application for a contribution towards course fees form for your application.
Loan or gift
You always have to pay back the tuition fees loan, with interest. The contribution towards course fees is a gift.
Last changes made on 04 december 2023